I am excited to share my first truffle recipe. One of the best dishes I have eaten in New York is the truffle chicken at Nomad (pictured below). The New York Times has an in depth article on how they make this chicken. For this recipe I used a 2.5lb chicken from Eataly, black truffle from Urbani truffles, and my trusty KitchenAid Toaster Oven which I use all the time for baking. I am lucky to have access to the freshest black truffles in New York since New York is a major hub for many specialty ingredients. When I go to the truffle store they actually tell me that the truffles just arrived off the plane and were dug from the ground 18 hours ago in Italy. This black truffle roasted chicken dish costs $84 at the Nomad Restaurant plus tip and tax, but you can make a cheaper version at home with black truffles from Urbani for $90/oz. The Nomad version has a tasty foie gras, brioche, truffle filling piped under the skin. I used about 1/3oz of truffle for this dish so about $30 of truffle and $12 of chicken. It is important to use fresh chicken from your local butcher for this dish. The medley of the roasted flavors with the crispy buttery truffle infused skin is amazing and you will smell delicious aromas from the minute you start roasting this dish!
Roasted Chicken with Black Truffle Recipe
The inspiration for this post, Nomad’s Chicken for Two below
A short video from my instagram, JenCooksKorean, for this recipe
Ingredients for this truffle recipe
Stuffing the chicken with delicious thyme, rosemary, and lemon in the cavity and butter with black truffle between the skin and breast
Truffle Butter sauce that goes between the breast and the skin. If you do not have access to fresh truffles, you can use truffles that are preserved in oil in a jar found here.
Roasting in the handy KitchenAid Toaster Oven
The finished product, perfect with some sriacha!
- small chicken (about 2.5lb)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon sliced into wedges
- 3 springs thyme
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tbsp butter (1/4 stick of butter)
- 30grams black truffle (1/3 oz black truffle)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pat the chicken down dry
- Rub the chicken skin with olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Fill the chicken cavity with 3 lemon wedges, thyme, and rosemary (garlic cloves optional)
- Melt the butter and shave in black truffle
- Separate the skin from the breast at the neck (about 1in) and rub the butter/truffle mixture under the skin and over the entire breast
- Roast in preheated oven at 400 degrees for an hour with aluminum foil to keep the top from burning, about 10min before the chicken is ready remove the foil to brown the skin, watch the skin so that it does not burn