Sleeping Bear Kimchi Fried Rice
Ever since I saw images of cute sleeping bear rice I couldn’t stop thinking about how adorable it was. I have been meaning to try to make this cute dish for quite some time and decided it would be nice to pair with one of my favorite dishes to make, kimchi fried rice or kimchi “bokkeum bap.”
Kimchi Fried Rice
I love making kimchi bokkeum bap because there are so many ingredients that blend well together. For me it is the ultimate one dish Korean meal. The perfect pairing for the kimchi fried rice is an egg omelette on top with some ketchup and sriracha.
Sleeping Bear Omelette Rice
I wanted to try making the sleeping bear or rilakkuma rice because it is so cute. Most of the ones I see on the internet are sleeping alone on a plate or have some garnishes next to them. I tried to create a summer garden vibe for this dish with rosemary and bokchoy as the greenery and cherry tomatoes and carrots as the flowers. The possibilities are endless for dressing up this dish with all the summer vegetables. The sleeping bear rice I drew the most inspiration was this one from Fancy Edibles.
A short 15 second video of the process for making Sleeping Bear Kimchi Fried Rice.
Recipe for Sleeping Bear Kimchi Fried Rice inspired by Rilakkuma Sleeping Bear Omelette Rice
- 3 Cups brown rice
- 8 small cocktail franks
- 2 crowns of broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 1 red onion
- 6oz kimchi, reserve the kimchi juice
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package cherry tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- rosemary (for garnish)
- bok choy (for garnish)
- 1 piece American cheese
- 1 piece nori
- First prepare the brown rice since brown rice takes at least 40min to cook.
- Prep the vegetables: Cut the broccoli into little florets. Chop 1.5 carrotes into small pieces for stir frying. Chop the red onion into small pieces for stir frying. Cut the kimchi into bite size pieces.
- Slice the cocktail franks into thin rounds. About 6 pieces per frank.
- Heat up the wok on high and stir fry the cocktail franks for 2min and set aside.
- Clean the wok. Heat up the 2tbsp olive oil and stir fry all vegetables except the kimchi for 3 minutes or until the vegetables have started to soften. Add the kimchi and fry an additional 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add 2/3 of the brown rice and mix well together. Add the reserved kimchi juice until incorporated. Season with salt, pepper, minced garlic, and sesame oil.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites and set aside in two separate bowls. Add some water, salt, and sugar to the yolk to think out the yolks. Fry the yolk in a pan to make the blanket for the bear. Fry the egg whites in a pan, rolling them tamago style to create a pillow.
- Cut the remaining carrot into carrot flowers.
- Decorate the omelette rice by placing some of the kimchi fried rice on the center of the plate to for the bear’s body under the egg blanket. Use the remaining brown rice to form the bear’s face and arms and place over the egg white pillow. Create the ears, paws, and face with American cheese, cocktail franks, and nori. Decorate the plate with bok choy, rosemary, tomatoes, and carrot flowers to create the garden backdrop.
- Enjoy with sriracha and ketchup.