Galbi Jjim is one of those staple dishes that seems very daunting to make, but is faster and easier than expected. I love this dish for a few reasons:
fast marinating– the soy/fruit sauce flavor penetrates the short ribs very quickly
fat control– you get to control how much fat is in the beef broth that the ribs are braised in
sugar control– the recipe recommends using 1Tbsp brown sugar and 1 Tbsp honey for a traditional sweet taste, however I found that I only needed the 1Tbsp sugar because the pear brought enough sweetness to the dish. This dish in restaurants usually uses more sugar or even corn syrup sometimes. It’s nice to know that you can use so little sugar and still have a great tasting dish at home. I’d rather save my sugar allocation for dessert anyway 🙂
quick meal– you can make this in under an hour and the meat will still be very tender. This also tastes pretty good reheated as leftovers.
Recipe and Video Follow
I purchased 2-1/4lb of short ribs from HMart. HMart carries 3 different grades of short ribs that range from $7-$12/lb. Most packages contain 8 pieces. If you don’t have an HMart nearby you can ask your local butcher to cut the short ribs into cubes.
- Main Ingredients
- 2 to 2-1/4lb short ribs
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 package chopped mushrooms
- Handful baby carrots
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 10-15 small potatoes
- Sesame seeds
- Sauce Ingredients
- 2 thin slices kiwi
- 1 Korean pear or other sweet pear such as bosc
- 1.5 chopped onion
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Soak the short ribs in cold water for 1-3hr to draw out the blood. Drain and change out the water as it becomes discolored once or twice.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with enough water to cover the ribs. Boil the ribs for 5min to draw out more fat and impurities. Discard the water and refill the pot with enough water to cover the ribs and add the 4 garlic cloves, boil an additional 15-30min. Reserve 2 cups of this beef broth. Allow the stock to chill down and then skim off the fat from the top of the broth.
- Prepare the sauce by combining all ingredients in a blender or food processor until the consistency is smooth. Marinate the rinsed ribs in this sauce in a shallow bowl for 20min.
- Combine the 2C of beef broth with the marinated short ribs and all the sauce. Simmer on low for 20min, then add the chopped ½ onion, small potatoes, mushrooms, and baby carrots and boil an additional 15min. Garnish with chopped scallions and sesame seeds.
March 2015 Update: I recently made this recipe for a dinner party and used cipollini onions, cremini mushrooms, and baby rainbow carrots. The cipollini onions turned out well because they do not fall apart since they can be braised intact. The purple, orange, and yellow rainbow carrots really brightened up this dish. It’s fun to experiment with whatever vegetables are available at your grocer or in season. Once they get braised in the delicious beefy, soy, kiwi, pear/apple sauce they all taste great.